Blog Archive

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Wein in Wien... AKA Wine in Vienna, Mutha Effas!! Act Zwei....

Dear Readers-
When we left off, Jayna and I were tearing our way across Vienna. I forgot to mention that we met some LOVELY Californian gentlemen, Kevin and Bob. They had been traveling the world and were getting ready to head to Greece.  In this saga, we visited the Schonbrunn Palace, Drank on the Danube, and met up with Kevin and Bob for the World’s smallest glass of wine while watching a Janacek Opera, Jenufa, on a large screen on the side of the Weiner Opera House.


May 9th, 2011, Bank of the Danube

Ok, it is official. I love Strauss. I am currently on a date with a date and some Riesling (Karl Brunthaler)… The date in question just happens to be stuffed with Prosciutto! YUM!  Prosciutto stuffed dates are quickly becoming my new favorite food form the Naschtmarkt.  Right  now, we are relaxing on the Donauinsel, an island in the Danube, relaxing in a lounge chair watching ducks.  Tonight, we will catch an Opera by Janacek on Operplatz. The Opera broadcasts the operas on the side of the Opera House for the masses on a large screen. Chairs are provided, viewing is free…just bring a picnic! (But more about all that jazz later) This will be my fifth straight night of Classical Music. Batting 5 for 5! Chances are, I will be able to find something in Salzburg to keep me entertained.




Aaaaannnddd….the shoes are coming off.









The Schloss Schonbrunn was amazing. We didn’t go in, but we explored the grounds and gardens and hiked up to the Gloriette, which was the retreat of the Empress Maria Theresa. The Gloriette was built on a hill behind the palace by Juhann Ferdinand Hetzendorf von Hohenberg in 1775.  The hike was pretty easy…and resulted in Glorious (har har) views…and ICE CREAM!!! I also had a Hollandspritzer, some sort of alcoholic yum. It was absolutely Devine. Our server was very helpful, and gave us some great tips on where else in Vienna to get quality food.



This Just In: We have moved on from Prosciutto stuffed dates to Feta wrapped IN Prosciutto. This just keeps getting better. Om nom nom. I mean, litereally, there is a STICK of FETA wrapped in Prosciutto. There is NOTHING wrong with that sentence. It is made of YUM!







While I enjoy my snack, I treat you to some pictures of the Schloss Schonbrunn:











Fun Thought… It is Monday. I should be at work. But I am not. Alas, the hotel will have to do without. I am, instead, sitting in the sun, drinking wine, eating food too good to actually exist, and soaking up Vienna while gazing at the Danube, humming a waltz or three. On a less pleasant note, people still rollerblade here…NAKED. And no, I will not be providing pictures.
On an absolutely Cool note, our server gave us a bottle of wine to take with us! Like, gave. Gratis. It is a 2010 Jungling Chardonnay from the Neusiedler See in Osterreich.  He lays granite for the vintner, and the vintner pays him in cash and cases of wine. I can’t wait to try it! So…the damage for two wines, one beer, free toilets (hey, that is a big deal here), a Danube View and a bottle of wine… 7 Euro. That’s it. 
Speechless.


A LITTLE BIT LATER…8:00 PM…Waiting for the Opera


Here we sit with 
our Californian Posse, getting ready to watch the Janacek. Our picnic has just started, and Bob treated us with a great Austrian red wine. Aichinger Zweigelt Bernthal, a 2008 from Neider Osterreich. We are drinking out of the most adorable communion sized cups.  I got grease form salami on my pants & wine on my journal, jacket and pants. Typical.  It matches the paint on my boots from Munich!!!
I mean, seriously, these are the smallest wine cups ever. At least they can be refilled multiple times!


They keep showing ads for Slovakia...Bratislava looks amazing! Mountains, castles, huge waterfalls, beaches...I can't imagine anywhere being more stunning than Vienna...but I have a whole lot of trip left. Tomorrow? Salzburg! For now, though, I leave you with a few more random Vienna Shots. Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment