Blog Archive

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Whirlwind

So...Here We Are. Monday..then Tuesday...then Go Time. I know I have neglected the Blog, but things have been a little nuts....so here, I go. I will pick right back up explaining how I determined my final Itinerary.

Milan
I originally planned this trip to cover as many countries and major cities as I possibly could in three weeks. I had planned on Zurich, Prague, Berlin, Vienna, Amsterdam, Brussels, Bordeaux, Paris, Lyon, Dijon, Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, Rome, Florence, Venice, Salzburg and Hamburg. It was going to be a gigantic loop through about ten different countries. Then...I got some sense about me.  While my itinerary is still ambitious, I have narrowed it down to the cities of my deepest desires and the experiences I most wanted to savor. So.. I stretched out the time & whittled down the destinations. (After all, this will not be my only trip to Europe).

Back in September, when I was heartbroken, I wanted to go to as many foreign prides as I possibly could and drown my heartache in Belgian Beers, Parisian pastries, and Swiss sweeties.
Needless to say, my agenda is slightly different now. NO prides, NO Amsterdam, NO crazy Berlin nightclubs.

Munich
I am back to the reasons I wanted to do this trip. ART. FOOD. CULTURE. HISTORY. MUSIC. WINE...and, self discovery, of course. It was time to narrow down the countries. The finalists:

France. Italy. Germany. Switzerland and of course...Austria.  Five Weeks.

I hit the books. I hit the net. I discovered Rick Steves. His "Best Of" became my bible. His "Through the Back Door" became my security blanket. And now, as the proud owner of his day pack and convertible back pack, I will be carrying him, literally, on the whole trip with me. Through Rick Steves, I cut some days off of the "BIGS" and added in some super small delights not found in teh other guide books. Places wtih names that sound like Currency, wines or Harry Potter characters...Gimmelwald, Beaune, Monterosso, Ventimiglia, Arles, Valence...I decided that, while the big cities have a lot of draw, I can find everything I am searching for plus local flavor. So I present to you...the where and the why of each "soon to be conquered" spot.

Arles
  • Vienna- DUH! Beethoven, Schubert, food,
  • Munich-Bavarian State Opera, Tosca...food
  • Salzburg-Mozart, Sound of Music
  • Venice-Wine, Canals, Art
  • Florence-ART! history! ART!!! Birthplace of the Renaissance!
  • Rome-Wine, Art, Food, Wine, History
  • La Spezia/Cinque Terre- hiking, hiking, hiking...beach
  • Ventimiglia
  • Ventimiglia- Beach!! Wine!
  • Arles-Roman Ruins, Provence and everything that comes with it! Wine, food, LGBT owned B&B
  • Beaune/Vienne/Valence- Wine. Wine. Wine. Wine. Wine. 
  • Lyon-FOOD
  • Dijon-FOOD
  • Paris-Who doesn't dream of Paris? 
  • Lausanne/Interlaken/Gimmelwald- Hiking...Hiking...Hiking...
  • St. Goar/Mainz-Castles/Rhine and Mosel Valley Wines.
  • Rothenburg-History, castles
  • Milan-History, Art, La Scala
  • Lucerne-Hiking, beautiful nature
  • Zurich-Museums, history, food
So right now, I am in Kansas City, soaking up all of the love and cuddles I can from TSG...anxiously counting the hours til I leave, but dreading the "goodbye" to the love of my life. (even if it is five weeks) Little things are going through  my brain...have I packed too much? Have I packed too little? How am I going to go without a phone for five weeks? What if I take the wrong train? How will I go without seeing TSG for five weeks (I might have an addiction to her) Will jet lag kick my tail? Will my little bits of foreign language be ok?
Murren

Guess we will find out!

One more thing. This will be my first trip and only trip to Europe...alone. From here on out, me and TSG. I can't wait to show her the world...give her the world...and make her the happiest girl IN the world.

I know that she and I are going to make tons of great memories. She continues to be supportive, share in my excitement, calm my worries and anxiety... Basically, she is amazing.

I would not have done this without her...and I wouldn't go through with it without her. I am going to miss her with every fiber of my being, but at least I will have one compelling reason to come home. I wouldn't give up those kisses for all the wines in France.

1 comment:

  1. Viel Gluck und Gute Reise little Squirrel. Be sure to take lots o photos and soak up every moment of culture, art and wine. This is a magical moment...make the most of it all

    ReplyDelete