Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Hills Are Alive...


Let us rewind to about 2o years ago. I think it was Thanksgiving. The end of Sound of Music was on the Screen of our Small TV in our Adorable house at 504 N. Pine in Norfolk, Nebraska. I was captivated. My first Musical. I begged Mom to rent me the movie-VHS, of course. I watched, watched again, and watched some more...captivated, awestruck, and envious.

Somehow, I ended up owning this Treasure within weeks. Maybe it was taped off of TV? Perhaps it was purchased by my loving, patient mother?I cannot recall. Regardless, I began the "oh so pleasant for the other family members" ritual of watching at LEAST once or twice a week for what seems like several years. I acted out the scenes. I played "house" where I was Maria. I desperately wanted to put on a puppet show. I eventually recruited my much younger siblings, who, to the chagrin of my parents, would march around the house, carrying a suitcase and guitar (aka Couch Cushions) singing "I hab Comp-ee-nince" in all their toddler glory.

My first Compact Disc was The Sound of Music Soundtrack. I had the sheet music for my violin. I sang along...boy howdee, did I. I could (and still can) recite, not just the songs, but the dialogue as well...word for word, line for line. To say I know this movie by heart is an understatement. It IS in my heart. My heart wanted to sign with Maria in those lovely Austrian hills.

Me & My precocious Self made a pact. One day, I (we?) would go to Salzburg...And Vienna...And the sought after Switzerland. Those that know me KNOW that I have a bit of a stubborn streak. When I set my mind to something...watch out. I WOULD go to Europe. It was just a matter of when...



Side note: In talking to the Squirrelly Girlfriend, she said "Sound Of Music? Isn't that the movie with the Vander Trampps?"...Love her. Looks like someone will need to actually watch the movie. And learn the words. Maybe dress up like one of the characters. Time will tell. Whatever it takes to get her to not confuse classic historical characters with french mnemonic devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment